Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Handheld computers for medicine

Someone asked me a few questions about my Palm computer, so I thought I would share the answers here in case anyone else is interested:

Question: (A medical student asks) I am interested in using a Palm TX handheld computer (to use on my rotations). Did it ever crash on you? did it ever work strangely? ? The Palm techs say that third-party software is sometimes incompatible and is a major source of tx breaks, so careful of what you download! Do you have any other medical software on your tx that havent caused resets?

Answer: I use the Palm TX for Epocrates only. It works well for that. I have a Blackberry Curve for messaging and Tablet PC (Lenovo X61) for taking notes in clinics.

The Palm has occasionally “crashed” (frozen up and needs to be reset). However, for the most part, it has worked very well, especially with Epocrates, which is a very stable application. Some of the other applications (such as the PowerPoint emulator) can get overwhelmed with large documents.

I have used this particular Palm TX for about 9 months. In the past I used Palm computers all the time. Right now I prefer tablet computers and only use the Palm if I don’t have internet (e.g., many hospitals and clinics) and need to figure out a DDx or look up a drug. I may activate cellular internet service for my tablet so that I can access internet, but even cellular service does not work in many hospitals. I would like to get away from the Palm TX because I really want all my stuff on one machine (like my tablet) and the Palm TX is really not powerful enough for me. However, my Palm TX is very nice for DDx and looking up drug when I’m being pimped, need a DDx, or need drug information. Epocrates has a ton of information and you can also take word documents, small powerpoint files (don’t even try to put a 50 MB powerpoint file on this). Also, most doctors don’t have an engineering background like me and would really rather not carry around a tablet computer (they like the more compact Palm or a phone better). I also have the free Epocrates on my Blackberry.

Yes, there are some applications that are not compatible, but many of them are. The bigger issue in my mind is that Palm is phasing out the handheld Palm like in favor of their Palm Treo and Palm Smartphone line. Really the Palm TX is not a bad machine. It’s a little slow and it’s not going to work with our VPN or super-secure wireless network. It does go wireless on most public and home gateways (mine anyway).

I have several medical applications on it (IV dosing and the like). Epocrates also comes with a ton of BMI, CME, and other software. Again, I prefer to use my tablet computer but unfortunately Epocrates is not available for it. There are many more applications available for the PC than for the Palm. However there are many Palm medical applications. So far I haven’t really run across something that is anywhere close to Epocrates.

No comments: